Cirque du Soleil is back in Toronto with its latest soul-touching production LUZIA which set-up a massive (the largest Cirque tent) white and gold Big Top for the limited engagement from July 28 – October 16 at Toronto Port Lands. LUZIA marks the first time Cirque du Soleil presents a production under a Big Top featuring printed patterns directly related to the theme of the show. The patterns evoke the association between Cirque du Soleil (the sun) and Mexico (the word originates from Mtztli, meaning ‘moon’, and Xuctli which means ‘middle’) and symbolize the meeting of two celestial bodies: the sun and the moon. A bird’s eye view reveals the path of the stars that spiral out from the centre of the Big Top – the symbolic meeting point between earth and sky, sacred and human.
Tickets for this highly anticipated show are already selling out at www.cirquedusoleil.com/luzia
A few facts about the LUZIA Big Top and the Cirque du Soleil village:
- The Big Top seats more than 2,600 people.
- The entire site set-up takes 8 days. This includes installation of the Big Top, the entra nce tent, the VIP tent and the rehearsal spaces.
- The Big Top stands at 19 meters (62 feet) high and is 51 meters (167 feet) in diameter.
- The 4 steel masts stand at 25 meters (82 feet) tall each.
- 550 pegs are required to hold the big top firmly to 48,500 square feet of asphalt.
- The Big Top can withstand winds up to 120 km/h (75 mph).
- The light-coloured canvas helps counter the effects of the sun, thereby reducing energy consumption and minimizing greenhouse gas emissions.
- LUZIA travels via 65 trailer trucks carrying close to 2,000 tons of equipment
LUZIA takes you to an imaginary Mexico, like in a waking dream, where light (“luz” in Spanish) quenches the spirit and rain (“lluvia”) soothes the soul.
Freely inspired by Mexico, LUZIA is a poetic and acrobatic ode to the rich, vibrant culture of a country whose wealth stems from an extraordinary mix of influences and creative co llisions – a land that inspires awe with its breathtaking landscapes and architectural wonders, buoyed by the indomitable spirit of its people.
The tableaux of LUZIA weave an intricate, contemporary mosaic that awakens your senses and transports you to a place suspended between dreams and reality. Featuring a cast of 44 performers from diverse artistic backgrounds, LUZIA surprises with acrobatic performances breaking down the barriers, such as integrating rain and water in into contemporary circus disciplines.
Photo credit for images used in this post: Laurence Labat / Costumes: Giovanna Buzzi / 2016 Cirque du Soleil